From Texas Name And Gender Marker Change
Jump to: navigation, search

Main Page > Passport

The Department of State's requirements for gender marker/name change in passports is detailed here.


I had my photos taken at Austin Passport Express for $11.

You can do it yourself and save a trip and a few bucks as long as you adhere to the U.S. State Deparment's passport photo requirements. Take the pic and print the photos on an inkjet printer on photo paper.

Required paperworks
  • DS-11 form, filled out
  • ID that resembles your current appearance.
  • Passport photo that resembles your current appearance (to be attached to DS-11 form).
  • Medical certification that indicates you are in the process of or have had appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition: follow the U.S. State Department's guidelines .
  • Proof of legal name change (if applicable), e.g. court order.

Go to one of:

  • The Travis County District Clerk’s Passport Acceptance Facility, 5501 Airport Blvd., 2nd Floor, Room 220, Austin, TX 78751
  • A post office.
    (I went to Post Office at Chimney Corners, on Far West Blvd. and made an appointment, which was several weeks out. (I called but could never get through: no answer.) At the appointment time, the clerk checked all paperwork to make sure everything is in order. He was very civil; he did not make any comments about the gender change.)

Snail mailed the following via registered mail:

  • Completed DS-11 form
  • Copy of court order (if changing name)
  • Copy of physician's statement
  • One passport photo (attached to DS-11 form).

ETA for new passport is approximately two weeks.

  • You cannot use form DS-82. I used DS-82 and got an email rejection saying "gender listed on your application is different from the one on your citizenship evidence". I also got a hard-copy letter to the same effect, which letter I had to include with my subsequent application.
    I ultimately used form DS-11.